DJ Maphorisa and Thuli Phongolo break silence on assault case
Written by Brooklyn Masuku on 16 May, 2023
DJ and producer DJ Maphorisa and actress , DJ Thuli Phongolo have broken their silence after recent reports of an alleged domestic dispute between them. The incident, which allegedly took place several weeks ago, has raised significant concern among their fans and the public alike.
Thuli Phongolo has referred the I Believe Her gang to Section 7 (a) of the Euphonik Act of 2016 Msunu yenu Nonke, Section 7 (g) of the Boity Act of 2019 Your mother did madness not swallowing you & Section 7 (h) of the Julius Malema Act of 2018 All of you combined can go to hell pic.twitter.com/I9b1vdnNPx
— Man’s NOT Barry Roux (@AdvoBarryRoux) May 15, 2023
Maphorisa, real name Themba Sonnyboy Sekowe, appeared in the Randburg magistrate’s court last week on a charge of assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
He is out on R4,000 bail as Phongolo filed a withdrawal statement and agreed for the accused to be released on bail.
The duo, in a joint statement released on Monday night, said it noted the various reports circulating online about the incident.
“Being public figures, it is unavoidable that the public, media, and their respective commercial partners all have an interest in this matter. Accordingly, they have decided to release this joint statement as the official and exclusive statement in the matter.
“The matter has received mixed public attention, causing a great deal of emotional stress on both parties involved. It is on this basis that the parties have elected to resolve this matter privately through their respective management and legal teams. Consequently, Phongolo has since withdrawn the charges laid against Sekowe.”
They went on to say: “Both parties have noted with concern, the disparaging, defamatory and (in some instances) untrue remarks, statements and reports emanating from the incident and view these in a serious light. The parties reserve their rights to individually pursue legal action against people making defamatory and/or false statements in relation to this matter.”
The couple’s representatives said that all Sekowe and Phongolo wanted was “to return to their respective fields of work after the now concluded private resolution of this matter”.
“Neither of the parties have any intention to allow this private matter to impact their respective, or the other party’s brand and professional interests. They request the public to give them the time and space to return to their work unhindered. No further statements will be made in this regard.”
The assault case against Sekowe was postponed to June 14, to allow the accused to make representations to the NPA in light of the withdrawal statement made by the actress.